Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,130
    You can feed a second time if the plant has put on a lot of growth. If you feel that some stems are not showing signs of growing new branches, cut down quite low. Any pruning done now, should be to encourage certain branches to thicken up.
  • this is my hedge now 
  • befuddledbefuddled Posts: 34
    Omg they are amazing what a lovely green hedge, iam hoping mine will one day be like that ! So I have a question can I cut anymore off or leave them now till April? I have got new growth from the cut i did end of May but a couple of them are still like sticks with no new shoots at the bottom Also how often should I giving blood fish and bone? Thanks for any help given  

To answer your question... (anecdotally as always), I don't think they care when you cut them. I cut half mine last year in September and no new growth happened at all. I cut the other half in April and all plants shooted new growth in May exactly the same.

Cutting 100% works though as every cut doesn't just produce 2 stems it produces 6 or 7 lower down. My neighbour planted some the same time as me and hasn't cut them at all and his look pathetic in comparison.

Tracey I think you've planted them too close to the fence. Mine were 1m from the fence and are pressed up against it already despite annual cutting. These things grow round. So if you want them 9ft high where's the 9ft width going to go?

• resres Posts: 42
    Befuddled - please advice best months to cut-back?
  • befuddledbefuddled Posts: 34

I do late April.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,480
    You can cut them back any time theres bits in the way, Res has asked 100 questions if he’s taken advise his would have been 3’ tall by now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Guys. Hope you don’t mind me jumping in to comment on your forum. I came across it earlier this year when I was searching the internet for advice on how to encourage growth in leggy, stalky laurel plants. I planted a new laurel hedge in my back garden last year. Nine of the plants were put in during May 2017 and they gained a lot of height in the first few months but nothing outwards. The foliage was all at the top and bottom but nothing in between. I took the advice I saw on your forum and chopped them down to about 1 foot. I must admit, it wasn’t easy - I felt ill with every cut!! However by the end of the summer, they had regained a lot of the height and they look lovely and bushy now. I’m dying for the spring so I can see them really take off! Seeing Befuddleds hedge really encouraged me. I also gave them a couple of doses of tomato feed during the summer and chicken pellets in late autumn. I think my biggest mistake was planting them a bit too far apart - 3 feet between each plant. 2 maybe 2.5 feet may have been better. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,480
    They will fill out Fiona, but don’t waste money on tomato feed for them, that’s for producing flowers, you need one high in nitrogen to make nice bright green growth. 
    Keep the tops pinched out next Spring and they will continue to thicken. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn. I’ll do that. I’ll also try to post some pics of the plants as they were immediately after being chopped down and as they look now. I’m not much of a tech head though so this might take a bit of time!!

• Hi. Not sure if these pics will show properly but here goes! Some of the pics show the plants immediately after being chopped down last April. The rest were taken last week. I’m glad I followed the advice I saw re cutting the plants down - they’re looking much bushier than before. There are loads of little buds just waiting to burst into life next spring - I’ll post more pics then as an update. They got a good feed of chicken pellets before the winter set in but as suggested in earlier posts, I’ll give them some blood fish and bone - is it ok to do this in the spring? I’ll also do what Lyn recommended and cut the tops in the next year to help them thicken up.