Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    Doesn’t that look better!? Beautiful, they’ll grow up this summer, can you come back with a photo in Autumn and show us how they’ve taken off? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for the encouragement - will absolutely report back with progress.
  • Can any one please help me, have had theses in  for 6 months now, my leafs keep going yellow I pick off all the yellow leafs off and a week or so later there go yellow again,  I've dig one up not water logged, so must be under watered?? What I need help with is what sort of feed should I give it if any?? Should I trim?? Iam so worried there dieing on me , also are you too far apart? Thanks. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,141
    If the second photo is the overall hedge, it's not bad at all, but I have to recommend you remove all that grass that is surrounding the shrubs. They are taking all nutrients from you plants. Try to dig away all the grass and then stab the soil with a garden fork and lay a very thick layer of compost over it. Then feed the soil with Fish blood and bone. Your shrubs will need a prune to help it concentrate on the roots and hopefully, the pruning will stimulate more new shoots. I would remove at least one third of the top growth. 
  • Thank you for your advice,, iam going to trim the trees tomorrow was going to nip the tops off I have been told to give it sulphate of ammonia growth booster from miracle gro should I not use this then?
    Thanks so much for your help. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,141
    You can use that, it’s just a nitrogen based fertiliser. Basically boosts your shrubs’ growth. It’s a short term boost, but I believe it is important to check the growing conditions like the soil structure, drainage and possible competition for nutrients to your plants which I believe there are with the grass. 
  • That's fab thanks iam going to take away all the grass and was going to lay railway sleepers so I will add a sort of boarder so the grass will go and was going too add soli and bark round them, got the bone blood and fish today and have cut the tress today. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    If they were mine I would cut 6” off the tops right the way along. They will then grow thicker from the base so you’ll have a hedge instead of individual trees. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Sorry for all the questions, so cut another 6inch off yes? Any more tips how I can in prove theses too make a hedge. And how often should I feed  them??
    Thank you