Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• befuddledbefuddled Posts: 34

Interesting input. I'd like to see the pics at the various stages. :)

Purely on the basis of the anecdotal evidence I have at my disposal I'm going to disagree. I planted 19 plants in my back garden and 1 in my front. I've never pruned the one in the front, and it has not grown anything like the others. Aggressively pruning the ones in the back has led to multiple shoots from one cut, as can be seen in the recent pics. On the plant in the front, although there has been some reasonable growth, one stem remains one stem, and there is no corresponding bushiness. This is intentional for now - I'm happy with it quite small until I remove some other plants.

4 weeks since my last pic and mine have taken off like rockets. At least a good 12-18" of really thick growth on the top and also sides. They are now offering privacy on the near side of the garden above the fence line. I'd post a pic but the garden is in the middle of some building works and is in a shocking state  image image image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,924

that previous poster has given instructions  to grow them  as trees, you did well by chopping them back, you have the hedge you wanted.  They are looking fantastic now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,136

Another case of 'size isn't everything' , wouldn't you say Lyn image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove says:

See original post

I couldn't possibly comment? Well, maybe I could?

• Hi Befuddled, The conditions in the front may be very different from the back, also I noticed it is much more exposed in the front and the rear has the fence as a wind shield which is very important when trying to establish any new growth.

A slimy barrier is exactly what you want to create to hold in moisture for the plants but please remember to add the organic manure first. Size is everything as that is what you are after 8-9 foot. I live in the midlands so its very much a mixed bag of weather but no different than most area in the UK except the extreme north of Scotland or extreme south, I assume you do not live either of those.

I moved in 2015 in June so I had missed the big start of the growing season but they were twigs in the ground with a few leaves that were yellow and brown and with this method it only took a season and a half to get a 9 foot hedge. 

Just to clarify, it is about 5 feet thick in most places too so folks don't knock it til you try it. The aim is to get it to your desired height , once it is just above where you want it then just trim in those few inches and maintain it at that height. Believe me the laurel wants to grow so even though you let it shoot up to this height quickly , it will start to fill out that last little bit, just keep clipping those few inches off and taper it in. You will have the height and the thickness. Trust me.

I may get the chance to take some more photos during the week. Your hedge looks really good, all I am saying is that with my method , it was like that in half a season, so from June 2015-September 2015. From around 1 foot to over 7 in places, I could not believe it myself that in just a few months that the hedge would have grown beyond my desired height so I had to nip a few inches off in places. 

Oh and two more tips if I may: As nice as the flowers are, get rid until you reach your goal as they will only consume lots of the plants energy instead of putting it into growing your branches and leaves.

Also walk around every few days with a small pruner and snip off any yellow or fading leaves as they too are drawing energy from the plant instead of using that energy for growth. As soon as you loose each dying leaf , you will gain 10-15 more in its place.

For me living next to a main road, it was important that I could have both privacy and a thick hedge to drown out the noise. Now I have just that in a season and a half of growth, Even truck cabs cannot see in and I can actually, completely enjoy this summer season.

In Conclusion, I think some people have fanic attacks when a branch shoots up and seems a little leggy but with the right nutrition and nurturing it will fill out without cutting it back all the time. I had the exact same advice regarding cutting back from many people and I choose to ignore it, however I took on advice from other places and people regarding the nourishment and nurturing aspect as well as figuring out one or two things myself and I am very happy I went this route.

As they say ''the proof is in the pudding''.

Next spring I look forward to the sweet smelling flowers and leaving them alone as my work here is done. image Look I said I would throw you and Peter a penny's worth of my own experience and maybe ye can take something from it.

My baby is all grown up now and I am super happy with it. image

• befuddledbefuddled Posts: 34

It sounds fantastic, but we need to see some pics. Go get snapping!

:)

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

What they actually say is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" but hey ho.

Good hedge Befuddled.

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 332
    Lyn says:
    Dovefromabove says:

See original post

I couldn't possibly comment? Well, maybe I could?

See original post
    steady on, this is a family friendly forum (that's a lot of effs !) image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021

A lot of effing right enough - I was thinking the same thing...

oh - you're talking  about your quote Eric's Mum. I had something else in mind....image

Yes - clearly we've all been doing it the wrong way all these years. image

Long may you enjoy your hedge befuddled. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

EE must have had Divine Intervention, 9' high and 5' wide in 18 months from almost dead twigs, that's some going. 

As you say Fairy, we've all been doing it wrong obviously.  I hope the poster continues to give us these pearls of wisdom for other plants, we need someone with a bit of knowledge on the site.?