Forum home Talkback

Concrete Lined Anderson Shelter - What to do?!

I've just moved into a house, and while clearing the garden i've found a buried concrete lined anderson shelter... i think. I'm going mad.

So, it's just concrete, not corrugated iron, 1.4x2 meters (anderson shelter size) but the shape of the edge is as if it was corrugated iron, but then lined with concrete. Google has got nothing to offer on the matter. I would really like just to forget it's there, but if i'm ever going to dig it up, it's now. So, two questions:

Has anyone ever found anything similar?

Has anyone got some ideas how i could utilise it? Wine cellar/underground shed/pond etc

My girlfriend wants to cover it and forget it's there but i can't help but think there's something to be done with it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

My parents once uncovered a WWII concrete underground bunker in an overgrown bit of their garden. They used it as a rather damp store room. You could try mushrooms or forced rhubarb.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310

How exciting!  I think that's wonderful - I think they were built using corrugated iron as a sort of shuttering and concrete poured in and the iron removed when it was set! 

I would try to make use of it - there's never enough storage space in a garden - somewhere to keep the gardening tools or as you say, a wine cellar!  You could have a go at growing mushrooms! 

Do you have or are you planning to have children one day?  What a fabulous place to have as a camp/pirates' den etc - or maybe you need a 'Man Shed' image

Have a look here http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/dec/17/anderson-shelter-shed

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You could use it as a root state if you plan to grow vegetables.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Is it a Stanton air raid shelter? I would use it as a shed/storage area if it is practical and paint it inside/keep it water tight. Bikes and lawn mowers do take up a lot of space.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I think I would find it pretty exciting to have a relic of WWII in the garden. Hope you can find a way to keep it and enjoy it. There can't be that many left now but I do remember in the '70s that a lot of my aunts still had them in their gardens, one popular use was storing the veg over the winter. image

• Sam JessonSam Jesson Posts: 119

wow! this my first time using an internet forum, and it's come up trumps. thanks everyone image

Tomorrow i'm going to dig it out and see how deep it is and what it's all about. I'll cover it and decide nearer "the time" what to do. I like mushrooms, i like wine, i have a nephew and niece and all my mates seem to be having kids atm. 

Dovefromabove do you have any more info about this? i can't seem to find anything online about this way of them erecting the shelters.

I've taken a pic of it now, and will post again tomorrow.
    Thanks again

P.s i'm new to being a gardener, and very new to gardners world, so it's all very exciting! I'm completely re designing my garden from today

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310

Hi Sam image

Don't really have any info except that it's a method of building I've seen done way back when I was a child in the 50/60s living on a farm.    There's some interesting info here http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/waiting/forstpage.htm and here http://www.military-history.org/articles/air-raid-shelters.htm

I'd have a word with someone at your local museum if I were you - they could probably give you some info or point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum and the world of gardening image  Hope to see lots of you (and your garden)   in the coming weeks and months image

By the way, look out for stuff left behind in there, graffiti, coins, anything might have been dropped and left behind by the people who were sheltering there image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I knew someone who found one in his back garden, it was great! but he told his landlord who told the council who made him fill it in and block it up -  health and flippin' safety - so watch who you tell !!

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Looking forward to seeing pictures of this exciting finimage

• I'd keep it, as a piece of heritage.