Will a 'monkey puzzle' tree be suitable for my garden??

I was just wondering if any members have a 'monkey puzzle' tree in their garden and if so if anyone could help!  My 2 acre woodland garden (I recently moved in and it needs a lot of tlc!) has had a lot of trees cut down over the years and I would like to put some back in.  I would love one of these trees as my gran had one and I remembered it from being a child.  I was wondering if my garden would be suitable - space is not a problem but quite large areas of the garden suffer from a lot of surface water during bad weather as it has a very high water table so I need to be careful with what I plant.  Another problem I have is that I have a lot of woodpeckers in the area that are VERY active - as my pride and joy willow tree will testify as it now looks like swiss cheese! -  will they harm a monkey puzzle tree??  Any ideas?  many thanks image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,886

Hi Hippyness image

Monkey Puzzles really do not do well in wet areas - in fact 'getting their feet wet' in the winter will usually kill them off.  Sorry. image

As for woodpeckers - they usually only drum on trees that are dead/dying/rotting.

Hope that's helpful image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HippynessHippyness Posts: 21

Thanks Dove, not the answer I wanted but I did suspect that it may be too wet - best to avoid a costly mistake now!!