Forum home Talkback

Celandine trouble

What is the best way of eradicating cellandines as my garden is overgrown with them

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

I feel your pain.  Resolva is very effective but it can be a bit tricky if the cellandine is surrounding plants/hedging plants.  Last year I cut my losses and sprayed the whole area, which also killed some plants but this year, it is much better although not completely gone yet.  I've sprayed in between the hedging plants but I think it's a bit risky now that the hornbeam is showing buds.  Personally, I don't think digging it out is very effective because you either have to take a shovel of soil out of the plot or risk missing some of the roots.  In a very long winded way, I think I'm saying, spray wherever/whenever you can and keep fighting the fight.  

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I wouldn't spray it will take a long time but I will dig it up
  • Ok, they are surrounding shrubs and other plants in the borders, have hoed some of them and hope by repeating this it will weaken them

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,820

The nice thing about celandine (apart from their lovely sunny faces in the spring) is that they die down in the summer and don't reappear again until next year image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Ha ha, I must be doing something right then.  No sunny faces in my gardenimage

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,416

Hi Kevin, "cellandines" (with double L) does not exist. According to Wikipedia there are 3 plants called "celandine". Which one do you mean? Do you have a photo?.

Wikipedia:

Celandine is a common name for three species of flowers:
    Greater celandine, Chelidonium majus, in the poppy family
    Lesser celandine, Ranunculus ficaria, in the buttercup family
    Celandine-poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum, in the poppy family

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

I'm happy with my garden being herbicide/pesticide free image

• Hi all - I too have a celandine problem and thought this looked the most appropriate forum for it...

I have managed to clear it from my borders, but it is basically covering the lawn. Awful stuff. I know it is celandine and continue to dig them up, but am having no success. 

What is the best treatment for getting rid of it? And when is the best time to try?

Thanks for any help!