Bee Story

Yesterday morning I found a bumblebee crawling around in the bedroom.  I caught it in a container and put it outside in the sun on a Pulmonaria.  When I looked 10 minutes later it hadn't moved at all.  I remember reading somewhere on here that sugar water or honey could help.

As soon as I placed a drop of honey on the flower directly in front of the bee it immediately started to eat it and within 15 minutes had taken to the air and was flitting from flower to flower.  It made my dayimage.

Many thanks to the person who gave this tipimage

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,604

hope he's busy pollinating lots of your flowers tomorrow in returnimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,503

It was me LESLEY.  Pleased you remembered and was able to help the Bee.  He could have just come out of hibernation or exhausted himself during the nice spell of hot weather lately.   Glad you could help image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I really hope he/she has chickyimage

Thank you so much Rb.  Sorry I didn't remember who it was but you are responsible for saving a lifeimage.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,773

if it was early morning,you didn't say,  it might have been best to leave it indoors until it warmed up a bit outside.

Devon.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

It was lovely and warm Hosta.  I sat outside with my coffee to keep an eye on it and other bees were buzzing about. There was even a peacock butterflyimage.  

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,773

I often just leave them on the palm of my hand and breath very gently onto them to warm them up further.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when they're warm enough to fly off.

Devon.
  • There was a male buff ( B terrestris) couldn't find its way out on my greenhouse which has no nectar this afternoon I turned the pressure sprayer near it so it could drink, managed to get it to cling onto a stick and poked the stick outside through a broken pane. I think it would have soon run out of puff.

Goes to look for something in flower that can be potted and put in the greenhouse.