Forum home Problem solving

Garden Moles

Hi Fellow Gardeners!  I just wonder how many of you suffer from Moles tearing up your lawn?  I certainly did and nothing on the market worked at all!  I commenced on a year long journey into researching these little velvet creatures and decided I would try my own recipe to deter the moles elsewhere....after a lot of trial and error my lawn is mole free.  

My question is, would there be a demand out there for a "new" mole treatment on the market (one that actually works)

Thanks for reading, any feedback/questions very welcome!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,271
    Anyone who suffers from moles would welcome something that actually works.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Traps mostly work. They can be purchased from agricultural merchants or I am sure you could get them on-line.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,740

You will need evidence that it was your product that worked and not that the moles have packed up and moved elsewhere when food supplies in your garden were exhausted or conditions change - that's what they tend to do. 

Have you done trials in other gardens/parks/fields?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Kirsty80Kirsty80 Posts: 2

My solution definitely works.  We have tested on many gardens and even our local golf club, the holes we treated are now clear!  We do not kill the moles I forgot to say, we treat the hole and tunnel with a solution which the moles do not like and they simply go elsewhere.  I didn't want to kill the moles so the pressure was on to find an alternative!

Thank you for your replies, very appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,740

Well, if the golf club are happy then that sounds great!  Good luck! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,044

don't forget us when you're a millionaire though Kirsty.

Good luck.

Devon.
  • I think alot of stuff actually works. But what usually happens is you use the method, the moles don't come back next season then you think job done and get lazy so they come back a year or so later.

For example i had really bad moles the winter before last (we live in the country and the fields are full of moles). So this year i tried the bulb method, rather than paying a premium for "mole bulbs" i bought some Allium Moly which the same, as well as some siberian squills. Planted them every meter in the lawn round the garden. 

The result, no moles, they stayed on the other side of the fence in the field and didn't encroach into the garden. 

So can i relax? Probably not, the bulbs will die because they will be mown down during grass cutting, so at most they will last a season or 2. So i'll most likely be repeating the process this autumn before they come back again, as clearly the bulbs worked, but will need repeating every year.

The same i imagine would be for a secret solution, like naptha, or castor oil etc, they will most likely move the moles off that season but will need repeating every year, assuming the moles are still in the generally area.

Now i just need to work out how to get rid of the voles that have moved into the old mole tunnels lol....

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Much like the milk bottle solution. When I get a mole hill, I dig into it carefully to reveal the tunnel, place a milk bottle so it sits with the bottom half way up the tunnel. It works every time and moles move away.

I can see at the moment that I have same situation as Andy describes, they have moved out of the garden, but are still in the field just outside my boundary. In time they will move back in and I will have to repeat the process.

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,884

You have milk bottles where you live?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

My neighbour still has milk delivered in real glass milk bottles pansyface image We borrow a couple now and then. image