weed id please

CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

That's White Bryony, Bryonia dioica. You will need to dig every scrap of the root out. If it's been there for a while, there will be an enormous turnip-shaped thing as well as long, flexible roots. It does have attractive berries in autumn, but it's a thug and can completely cover small plants and shrubs.

Brilliant, thanks landgirl100.  It may be of long standing so I can now attack it, and it's friend under the conifer hedge, with an informed approach.  Many thanks.

Thought you might like to see the result of the attack. image

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 10,363

Well done TetleyT.

I bet you've got another pair of gardening gloves just like those, haven't you? image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,968

OMG - Landgirl wasn't kidding when she said it had a big root, and I thought I had problems with dock and dandilionsimage

BrendaScott53 - the other pair have a fingertip missing and a ripped palm ha ha!  

Zoomer44 - I have pulled up several of these and this was the biggest but they all have this parsnip/swede like root.  One had about the same amount of top growth but a root like a pencil-thin carrot so I think I got that one in its first year.  Another had no root at all because it appeared to be growing in concrete so I have to keep my eye on that, if it comes back I'll paint SBK on it.  

The seeds can be viable for many years apparently so it might be a while before I'm in the clear.  I know I have another one under my conifer hedge because I pulled the top off it before I knew what it was so I'm just waiting for it to identify itself again and then I'll get my weed hook out again! image

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Wow, well done with those! I've just dug a few out myself, but one is right next to a fence so I've sprayed it with Roundup - it seems to like it so far!

They do like to nestle themselves into boundaries don't they?  I have a hedgerow at the bottom and have not investigated it for English Mandrake yet as it's also known - quite an interesting plant if you Google it.  Every time I find one now I think, "oh no!" ha ha.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510

I've never heard it called English mandrake. image

I love the way the berries are left hanging on almost nothing when the stems dry off in autumn.