cleaning bird feeders

I keep hearing that we should use a sterilising/antiseptic wash for seed feeders and bird tables.  Is this correct?   What should I use - are any household products ok to use?  I don 't want to use anything harmful. I've always used hot water with a squirt of washing up liquid (the sort that is kind to my hands!)  and cleaned them regularly.  Thank you, Mags

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

Edd,  I wondered about bleach.  Ok, just a few drop to a bowl of hot sudsy water then rinse very well and leave to dry (I always do anyway).  Thanks very much, Mags

• Hi I use dettol spray after washing in soapy water but I few drops of bleach in the water seems a good idea . I red an article saying one in five Greenfinches are killed by a disease called Trichomoniasis which causes their throats to swell leaving them to starve to death , and one of the reasons maybe caused by dirty bird feeders so It's great to highlight the importance of cleaning our  bird feeders .image 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848

I use Milton fluid. It's my cure-allimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Alot of feeders can be unscrewed/taken apart which will reveal all sorts of mouldy bits where the rains got in. I undo the feeders every month and leave soaking in boiling hot water and fairy till its cool
  • staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

Haha Mrac, I carelessly used boiling water on a plastic feeder. It went out of shape and couldn't be re-assembled!   Thanks everyone, for your replies.

YES. everyone, beware of feeders that cannot be taken completely apart for cleaning. 

Mags

• MarkNMarkN Posts: 17

We've fell for onw that you cannot dissemble. It was a squirrel-proof one (after having two normal birdfeeders torn down and emptied!) - but now grass is growing out of it and we can't get to it to dislodge and clean it. Any recommended squirrel-proof that can be dissembled?