Forum home The potting shed

There is no demand for them????

So how many times have you heard that said. 'Oh no we don't have them, there is no demand for it'.

OK, so why am I asking you if you have them then?

So was out doing my thing this morning surveying wildlife, thought it would be nice to get back and do some potting on in the shed. Wanted 5 inch pots. lots of them. Go to the GC where I bought some just a few weeks ago. 

'Oh no, we don't have any more, there is no demand for them, we only order a few in each year'

Oh OK, but I thought I just asked if you had any, I'm thinking that is a 'demand' for them isn't it?

So could your order some in for me?

'Well have a look round and if you don't find any, then we will'

Well I would rather you just ordered them now and save me the wild goose chase round the local GCs particularly on a Bank Holiday...

So three garden centers later, 

Hi, do you sell plastic plant pots?

'No we don't sell them there isn't a demand for them'.

Oh.

Then the helpful owner said hang on a minute. He came back five minutes later with 25 pots. All used but free.

I was happy, but it is no wonder the 'real world' shops lose out to online shopping.

I can buy 30  5" pots in 30 seconds on the web and nobody treats me like I'm a little bit mad to ask in a garden center for plain plastic plant pots.... image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

Try buying tall 4 inch square ones. No-one even makes them any more from what I can see.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 666

I bought a box of 31/2" pots 1008 in the box for potting on last Thursday cost me £29.50 plus vat local supplier. They sell all sizes and shape of pots to the trade but public can go in an buy anything to do with gardening they sell the lot. 

• Jennifer 10Jennifer 10 Posts: 112

Morrisons have plastic plant pots.   And try the £ shops as well. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

My son said that Jennifer that he had seen them in Morrisons, will try there and the local cheapy shops. I guess I need to remember GCs make their money selling plants in pots, not selling pots to people who want to grow their own. image 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

I think the ones i used to buy are 6 inches tall. They were ideal for long rooted things, like Hellebores and various shrubs. Congleton Plastics used to make them 20 years ago which is the last time I managed to get some.

LBS Plastics are very good suppliers.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

Our local Notcutts have loads of second-hand pots, ones they've used and ones brought by customers, for recycling.  We can help ourselves image

I have hundreds of pots in the garden - I must take a load to Notcutts image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

back in the day when I was running my gardening business, I literally Thousands of 2 / 3L pots from planting jobs. I tried offering them to schools, nurseries, all sorts , and nobody wanted them because they couldn't guarantee the'd be sterile. Really? do folk think a new pot on a shelf in the GC is " sterile" for goodness sake.

Eventually sold them to a small hobby grower/ nurseryman who wasn't so fussy, think he paid me 3p a pot.

Devon.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Most GC's have places either outside or by the doors with free pots of all shapes and sizes, that they and customers put in. I have never paid for any of my little pots 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Does anyone know what it would cost to send a parcel of these plant pots through the post? Bare in mind I don't live I  the vicinity of post office.