Forum home Tools and techniques

Composting moss

2»

• daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 372

Well gardening is all about being patient. The birds are doing a bit of moss gathering this time of the year so they help a bit. Leaves will rot down a bit quicker in a plastic bag with a few holes punched in it But if you have a large garden you don't have to worry about piles of stuff around the place. image

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 404

We are just treating our very mossy very big lawns (1500m2 total) and have followed the advice on the Lawnsmith website, using ferrous sulphate and then raking up the results.

My OH has so far taken 5 Jewson sand/rubble bags full of moss to the tip and I'm now wondering whether we could compost any of it.  I'm obviously unsure about the ferrous sulphate so if anyone has any thoughts on whether that would be disastrous for compost I would be grateful

We've only raked about a third so there will be loads more to deal with yet

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,053

I don't compost anything 'treated' for about 6 weeks afterwards. 

I think you'd need to mix a fair bit of other stuff in with that amount of moss anyway, Stephanie! I'd get rid of it if I was you, but others might think differently. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,821

I'm with Fairy on this one ... I don't put anything 'treated' in the compost bin. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 404

To be fair that was my thought, and no way could we compost the lot! On the upside my OH is on first name terms with the guy at the tip! image