Forum home Problem solving

Ground Elder

Someone please tell me that there is a way other than digging out ground elder to get rid of it.  I've been plagued for 14 years with it and although I do try and dig it out every year it still comes back in force the next year.  I know that even the tiniest bit of root that's left in the ground grows into another plant and I've also picked all the flower heads off to stop it seeding it'self.  This year I have resorted to weedkiller which I'm not happy about using but I'm at my wits end.  The leaves have shrivelled but I know it's not going to get rid of it, though I do have a nice fresh bed clear of everything else to plant new shrubs in when it's safe to do so.  Many thanks for any advice, I'm new here and not a fab gardener, though keen to try most things. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,268

Glyphosate weedkiller will kill it if you leave it untill the leaves are brown before digging it up, and repeat the process every time some appears , but the problem will be that it's probably creeping in from next door or somewhere nearby.  image

I often think that we should start cooking with it and encouraging it - after all that's what it was brought to the UK for - and that usually means that a plant is more difficult to grow than a weed. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh I didn't know you could cook it,  It is quite a pretty plant and has lovely white flowers but you just don't what it flipping everywhere do you!  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You're right Tetley, repeated cutting down does keep it under control, and that way you can eat it too image

• I feel so stupid, my garden was ground-elder free.. untill I saw those beautiful white flowers on the side of the road, and I decided to plant them because they were so pretty (no idea it was such a horrible weed) now the left side of my garden is infested... gosh I'm such an idiot ..how could I be SO stupid back then image

• Haha .. (or a hundred) image

• I've had this problem of ground elder in my garden for years and I hate it.  I would love to get rid of it, but each season I just dig up as much as I can and cut the rest down.  I inherited from my neighbours many years ago, and it just keeps coming back.  I am going to try mulching the area very thickly once I have removed it to see if that works.  I will let you know.

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Mulching won't work. The only way to kill it is digg out all the root. Any little bit of root left can and will regrow and can lay dormant in your soil until it springs to life again in spring. Or a amweed  like roundup or resolva sprayed on it as it starts to grow and even then it will take repeated treatments to get it all.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.