Forum home Wildlife gardening

first butterfly seen today

just saw the first butterfly in my garden. It was a brimstone .Lovely to see it fluttering in the sunshine.

Not sure which plant it prefers to lay its eggs on ?

I have left lots of nettles growing on bank of stream which should help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,266

How lovely -  the only foodplant for the brimstone caterpillar is buckthorn.

We saw a butterfly in the garden today but it was over our heads and we couldn't see which it was - it could have been a Red Admiral - my 'Under Gardener' image was emptying one compost bin into another and it may have been overwintering in the nooks and crannies there and been disturbed by him image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

I also saw a brimstone flying past the back of our garden. i was very surprised as we don't often see them here in North Manchester.

Also seen a few other butterflies in my allotment garden today and a ladybird and lots of large bees image

• BiljeBilje Posts: 727
    Hi from The NE, what a lovely warm day it's been here. Lots of butterflies around today. Ones I could identify were a pair of tortishells getting very friendly, and at least two different peacocks. Hope we don't get a cold spell.
  • Slight frost here this morning, but hopefully might get to see my butterfly friend later on.I have named her Belinda the Brimstone image.Hope I have the gender correct.

Been overdosing on Easter eggs !!

Thanks Dovefromabove we have lots of buckthorn all along the banks of the A34 near to here, for miles and miles the trees look as if they have been covered in snow at present with all the blossom.Lovely to observe .

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,243

A peacock and a tortoishell here yesterday.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

I've just seen my first butterfly too, it's was a terracotta colour and black, does anyone know what this is ?image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Just seen a Brimstone here. image  One or two either Red admiral or Peacock - they shot off before I could get close enough, but keeping my camera handy today. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

It worked!

Tortoiseshell (couldn't get very close to this one):

Peacock:

Peacock feeding on forget-me-not:

Hopefully, all will zoom ok when clicked. image

• Well caught  Bob .Nice background for the second shot.

Thanks NM.  I've been treated to pairs of Peacock butterflies mating this afternoon.  They fly in a tight circle around each other and shoot upwards together like that to what I estimate to be about 60-100 feet - wish I had a good video camera!