squirrel on magnolia

Where I am in tamworth we very very rarely get grey squirrels. The first one in about 5 years has been here for 3 weeks and has these past couple of days been snapping off the flowers on my neighbours white magnolia and he is on holiday so he does not know.is this a normal thing to happen ? I cant say if he is eating them but he is nibbling them

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sorry marc I can't advise you. My mother has two Magnolia trees and grey squirrels but they have left hers alone. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,661

If I were you I'd take a photo. Just in case your neighbour thinks you've been nibbling his magnoliasimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Lol pansyface
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,604

Our squirrels nick our apples, but leave the magnolia alone.  Hopefully there will be a few blooms left when he returnsimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 38

Our squirrels tend to only steal apples. But I have noticed the blue tits pulling the buds off my greengage tree image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,682

I have a squirrel that eats camellia flowers. when they are all gone, he starts on the magnolia. Different ones fancy different things. One year all the sweet corn got nicked in an afternoon.  image

They always ate  the apricots before they were ripe. I chopped the tree down.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,661

Garden rageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.