Oh what a beautiful spawning!

Hi all, have any of you ever found frogspawn in a strange place?

We have a pond on our allotment that is teeming with frogs and spawn but about 20ft away is a water tank that last week, also became full of spawn. Thousands of eggs. The thing is, there is no way into it. There is a tap at the bottom which is sealed and a dip tank which is 3ft off the ground. No sign of frogs in the tank either, not a single one, dead or alive.

How on earth did it get in there?

Also, would it be a good idea to scoop it out and put it in the pond with the rest of the spawn? I don't think the tadpoles will survive if they hatch in there.

Many thanks.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

I've found spawn, on the ground, in puddles, in buckets, in old baths, in tyre ruts..

It sounds to me like there may be a lack of light and nutrients in the tank and escape will be difficult for any baby frogs. I would fish out what you can.

Frogs can jump, and when they want to the adults can jump pretty high! image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,924

In my daughters outside loo.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 38

Ok I love frogs but if I see them all jumping three feet high or spawning in my loo, I'm outta there image

I think my frogs must have run out of room in the pond as it is full up to the top with spawn. But you're right GemmaJF, there is nothing in the tank to eat (unless they're partial to rust). I will have to scoop them out this weekend and put them back in the pond. I'm guessing it will be easier to scoop out a thousand eggs rather than catch a thousand taddys.

Cold hands for me this weekend image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,924

Good luck with that one Sloth!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Do frogs climb ? could they have climbed into the tank

If they can climb up a 3ft, smooth metal surface. Can they? However they did it, they got in, layed squillions of eggs and escaped again. Little blighters should be in MI5 or something. Stealth spawning image

A large female common frog even with a male on her back could easily jump 3 feet in the air. She'll do it to get to water. image Toads are the better climbers, but neither could climb a smooth metal surface as adults. image

Seems like a lot of hard work when there's a perfectly good pond nearby. Maybe it was the Hyacinth Bucket of the frog world and required a more exclusive nursery.

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    The only reason I mentioned climbing is because my garden is surrounded by a new 6 feet fence with no gaps in or underneath yet my garden has 30+ frogs

They'll use any route they can find Marc, under a gate perhaps? Either that or you have 30+ frogs that are very good at hiding in your garden most of the time, perhaps under a shed?

A lot of my (paid) work is clearing sites of animals before developers move in. We relocate them to new habitats. It's amazing how many frogs can be found when the whole site is slowly taken apart, I once pulled up a piece of scaffold board and caught 18 adults frogs that were under that single board. image