Forum home Talkback

greenhouse plastic fittings

Hi all,

Bought one of those cheap walkin green houses just got seeds going well then despite beening well wieghted down growbags etc the latest wind had other ideas, the plastic fittings corners and apex snapped wrecking the structure, have used gaffer tape and saved most seedling to main glassgreen house.

question anyone know of some better fittings or cheap spares or is it best to forget the whole idea even though it worked well with propergating ?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607

Weighting down the bottom of these is no good,all you have is the bottom in place and the wind will blow the top over. you have to tie them in at the top, just on the apex bit, on the actual fitting not the upright rods. Put 2 eyelet rings in your wall with rawl plugs them string a stout rope around firmly fixed. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Kev

Is it the one you can stand in, or the little stack of shelves with a placcy cover? If its the bigger one, ive probably got some spare fittings i can send you, ive never had the problem youve had, it probably the quality getting poorer as they try to make them cheaper.

other than that, you can try the build a ball thingys, they are really for making net cages, but should work with a little jiggery pokery image
  • thanks for the replies . today we have resurrected the walk in greenhouse half a reel of gaffertape and some positive thinking now back in the growing game. I also have some trailer straps spare so will storm rig it tommorrow. Bekkie thanks for the offer on the fittings i think we will be ok now all taped up  worst case senrio I'll make a stronger frame.happy Gardening everyone.

Kev.