Forum home Talkback

Forcing a flower to bloom

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

I have some tulips growing out the back and somehow one of them was completely cut off at the base. I don't know if a cat jumped on it or the wind snapped it, but it was a clean break.

Anyway, I sliced the end off at 45 degrees, stuck it in a pot of soil and watered it, and it seemed to recover. But even though the stem has remained stiff, the bud looks like it's starting to wilt without opening. It's a bit small, but the tip had gone red so it can't be far from flowering.

I fed the end of the stem with tomato feed, but is there anything else I can do to keep it alive and get it to bloom? I see plenty of cut flowers in supermarkets that are completely closed and only open a few days after you get them home, so maybe there's hope?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,519

Put it in a vase of water - not soil! image

Soil is for roots - your tulip doesn't have any! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I agree with dove put it pronto in water !!!!!!

if you bought cut flowers you would put them in water not soil, your tulip is the same as a cut flower.

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Ok, I thought sticking it in soil may draw up some nutrients as well as water. I've just moved it to a small glass vase with water and a drop of tomato feed, in case that helps feed it.

Is keeping cut flowers in direct sunlight a good idea, or is that only of any use to the bulb rather tan the flower?

• Direct sunlight is not a good idea it makes the bloom finish earlier than if they where in a shadier site.

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Thanks a lot. I'm new to gardening really, and I've never been one for cut flowers, so I don't know how best to keep them (especially as this one was by accident).

By the way, I'm sure I started this thread in the 'Plants' forum. Was it moved, or did I goof?