making enquiries

Does anyone use a soil thermometer with a electric propergator?.?

How do you use one ?

Do I need one for each propergator?

I have renewed my propergators this year  and wondering about an added thermometer , would I benefit from using one please?

All information greatly received  x

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,809

I don't use thermometers with my electric propagators. It's just a mild heat from the heated cable in them and they always seem to get results. If you really want to know you could get a maximum/minimum thermometer and leave it in for night and see what the temp was.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,829

I had never thought of using a thermometer with the propergators before  until someone was telling me they wouldn't use an electric  propergator without the addition of  one. It's supposedly used to help tell you how much to water  . 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,809

I can't see how it can tell you when to water. If you leave the lid on during germination the water drops back on the compost as condensation. When the plants are tiny leave the lid on with the ventilators open, there will still be little water loss. When the plants are bigger take the lid off or take them out of the propagator, then you use your fingers and your eyes to see when to water.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 840

I don't think it would be useful unless it was the sophisticated kind that you can wire in to control the propagator. I have two propagators, one with a thermostat and one without and I can't say I've really noticed much difference in performance between the seeds grown in each although I haven't done any kind of scientific comparison.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

I have a thermometer as part of the temperature control system on my propagator. All it tells me really is the artificial lights and sunlight from the window cause extreme temperature variations throughout the day and the temperature doesn't drop below the minimum set at night. Still works, had 100% germination so far and the melons I have growing on in there are romping away. image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,829

Gemma , have pmd you

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Replied granma image