So Annoyed!

Got home today to find that something (deer?) had been in the garden eating my beloved plants image

Tulips - emerging heads chewed off

Roses - nibbled down to the bone

Hollyhocks - munched to pieces

I am beside myself.  Does anyone have anything positive to say that will get me out of this funk?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,215

Roast venison? image

Sorry ... I'll get my coat ........................... there are other regulars on here who have had deer problems - hopefully they'll be along soon with some helpful tips image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• No tips, sorry to hear this image

• 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 382

Dovefromabove - I'm an animal lover but if I had caught Bambi in the act I would not have been responsible for my actions!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,484

Loads of deer hereimage.  They LOVE tulips more than anything else imageimage. However, mine do not eat daffs, chinodoxa, primroses, pushkina, snowdrops or hellebores .....so we grow lots of themimage.  We have also fenced off an area of garden to grow all the deer ambrosiaimage.

if you want me to give my summer planting list too then let me know ....its getting longer each year.  I plant sacrificial offerings of a single plant, and if it survives then I plant swathes of them.  We rarely see them, but they visit most mornings ....it normally takes them less than 2 days to find new fodder to munch. 

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • 1634 Racine wrote (see)

Got home today to find that something (deer?) had been in the garden eating my beloved plants image

Tulips - emerging heads chewed off

Roses - nibbled down to the bone

Hollyhocks - munched to pieces

I am beside myself.  Does anyone have anything positive to say that will get me out of this funk?

Oh deer! image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,924
    We had a real problem with muntjac deer destroying emerging plants and (especially) rosebuds - quite soul destroying when you've spent hours creating a pretty space.

Fortunately our garden had high boundaries except one weak spot. We put 5 bar gates across which solved the problem. The deer could easily clear the gates if they wanted - but they are lazy creatures (like me) & there are easier pickings without needing to clear any jumps image

Now, if anybody can solve the problem of voles in my veg beds......?
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 382

Just about getting over the trauma now - beer has helped.  I can't hold it agaisnt them.  If someone left lots of fresh baked cakes and biscuits unattended might be tempted to swipe one or two.  Thanks for the sympathy and advice.  New deer defences going up tomorrow.  More attention to 'deer resistant' plants in future.

• Electric fence?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,798

A few years ago my veg garden was destroyed by deer, OH put a high fence around it, which solved that problem. But next thing was that all my flowers were nipped off and all the roses and new rose shoots were eaten in the bit of garden behind the house which had never had deer damage. They'd been in the lower bit and I'd removed all the roses and put them in pots around the house. But the deer started coming right up to the house and ate all the pansies in the pots on the terrace. OH then fenced the main flower garden behind the house, which is terraced, on a slope, quite a job.

It worked and I have my flower garden back. I'd tried other things before the fence, none of which worked, like anti deer spray on leaves, anti-deer pellets that smelt horrid, a flood light with a sensor.

Dordogne and Norfolk