Reviving the pond

Hello everyone, We have a pond here at our house. It is a rectangular shape. It's 12 meters long, 5 meters wide and 80 cm deep. In each of the corners we have a planting area of 4x1 meter. In the middle of the pond there white lillies. Unfortunately they were not placed in baskets. Removing them would tear the plastic. I want to restore it to it's former glory. So what plants can I put in 4 areas? We do keep fish in the pond and have planted oxygen providing plants. I hope I've submitted this tread in the correct section. I'll try and post some pictures. All suggestions and comments are welcome

• XavierXavier Posts: 4

I tried to upload the pictures but i get an error everytime.

"did you register the raduploadprogresshandler in web.config"

I've tried it on 3 different computers now. 

Anyone know what to do?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Just click OK and the error message disappears, then proceed to upload the picture. Been doing that for a while now image

Your pond sounds totally amazing, hope you can post a picture now.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,878

I doubt the roots of water lily would tear the plastic liner, if they had gone thru the liner there would be no water in the pond! I would get in (waders would be a good idea) and try and tease them up a bit at a time. plus you'll need to clean most of the gunk out of the bottom, if you're keeping fish i'd bet there isn't 80cm of clear water in it anymore.

However depending on how old the liner is you might want to think about relining it (better to do it now that in two years time when all your new planting is established).

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

At our old house we used to have water lillies in baskets in the water. The fish would root around in them and use the leaves for shade on sunny days. Good suggestion from Treehugger, its exactly what we did.

I'm affraid i get a different error now. I would like to have posted some pictures by now. image

"Ajax Callback Error. Source url returned  unvallid content "

I have tried clicking it away but i does not work.

I have also tried different format's and sizes Jpeg an PNG but the result is the same image

@ treehugger:The lilies are in the centre of the pond and that section is 1,20m deep and is about 3m by 4m.

We do a spring cleaning every year but is difficult to get between the ogygen plants and collect all the leaves. The water is clear, I can see the bottom.

• solar powered pond aerator from amazon,keeps the pond in good health plus keeps the duck weed at bay

Hello everybody,

I'm so glad I managed to upload one picture of my pond. I tried a second time but it didn't work. 

So this is a picture of the situation a couple of weeks ago. I haven't done much since. The waterlelies have started te emerge, the fish are becoming active, the frogs are croaking. There have been some visits from wild ducks and the blue heron.

Hopefully I can upload the sideview picture soon. 

Thank you for al the inputs so far. 

I hope de picture brings the topic into high gear.