Forum home The potting shed

Seedlings

I have germinated tomato, cucumber and zinnia on sunny windowsills but now they are getting leggy and have their first true leaves. Can I move them into my cold greenhouse, the temperature of which drops to 3-4 degrees at night?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952

No.

Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • My Zinnia seedlings are in a cold greenhouse, I have a heater but its only set to come on when it drops to 5, even then it only emits heat in bursts and not full time. They are doing fine. Although if your seedlings are only little maybe keep them on the windowsill until they've got a bit stronger.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hi Alex, if they have their first true leaves sounds like pricking out time. Pot on into individual pots choosing your strongest seedlings, use a dibber or pencil to make the hole and plant them lower in the soil. Keep them indoors until it gets warmer.

There's a good thread on growing tomatoes on here from Simon Knott with videos attached, I recommend taking a look.

• Oh yes I forgot to say it sounds like they're ready to prick out if they're looking leggy image
  • My tomatos' are up and ready for growing on. Do you have a propagator? I will put mine in pots in the propagator and put all bubble wrap around them, then i shall move to the greenhouse. I also put an upside down terracotta plant pot in the greenhouse with a candle init. I find this just keeps the chill off.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952

Alex, sorry if my first answer seemed rude, but all those plants are not hardy, so should really not be in a cold greenhouse yet.

Pot on and keep indoors for a few more weeks.

Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • Alex 4Alex 4 Posts: 56

I can't pot them on yet as don't have enough room for them - I always find it difficult to start plants off - once they're off, it's too warm in the house and too cold in the greenhouse.