wildlife pond

A few yeara ago I had problems with a fibreglass pond which I bought as advertised as a wildlife pond,a couple of years ago I inserted two container ponds in it, frogs bred but hadno other life  other than tadpoles despite the fact I  put in amphibious bistort, hornwort and sedges, recently I managed to sort outthe problems with the fibreglass pond[ water level and  Sedge like grass growinginto the side, I have been considering using the fibreglass pond  instead of the container ponds.Also I had been hoping to attract  Dragonflies,I have Yellow Flag, Purple Loosestrife,Marsh Woundwort,Pendula Sedge and Brooklime growing near by but no luck,

• AWBAWB Posts: 409

Sounds ok to me, bet it's full of creepy crawlies. 

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Peter image

It took 6 or 7 years before i saw a dragonfly visit my pond, so please be patient image

From reading one of the other threads, it seems lots of ponds that are great for frogs arent always great for everything as the balance is tipped towards frogs so nothing else can get a look in! I will be making a new pond in the coming years which is deeper with more variety of habitat, just to give everything else a fighting chance image

Just a word of warning, keep the yellow flag contained or it will go through your liner!
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

It's often a case that ponds that are great for frogs, don't stay that way for long, it's usually the frogs that lose out to the dragonfly larva.image 

I've found we get more dragonflies at newly restored ponds and newly built ponds. Strange considering many species lay eggs on vegetation and the nymphs use it to climb up, but many species only seem to visit small ponds where there is little or no vegetation at the start. 

A couple of things that may help Peter, plenty of bottom sludge in the pond for the dragonfly larva to live in. Plenty of perching points for the dragonflies around the pond. They like to sit and rest nearby and bask in the sun. A pile of hedge cuttings would make good perching habitat. The pond ought to be in a very sunny position for dragonflies to make use of it. 

Also make sure they have somewhere to lay the eggs. A log half in and out of the water and floating vegetation are suitable for different species. image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

I read a book on pond building by Charlie Dimmock and she said it can take three years for a pond to fully mature. It sounds to me you've got some good native plants there Peter, give it time and I'm sure it will come right image