Fishy's 'pleasant reminders of schooldays. Not !!!

Queueing outside the swimming baths in really hot weather for a swimming session.

In my day it was 2d.   That's less than 2p today.   Coppers for the sweet shop and an Ice lolly on the way home.   Happy Days !!! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,357

The baker's van delivering warm bread to the farm and Ma cutting off the crusty corners and buttering one for me image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Mr Bean, not the Mr Bean from TV, the Mr Bean that drove one of these:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1237/5148368981_2834e5d1a7.jpg

He would come to the village once a week selling household goods, I don't know why but it always seemed exciting whenever he rolled up!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

A shilling pocket money each week 5 pennies for a bag of salt and vinegar crisps that I crushed into tiny bits and nibbled and 7 pennies for my June & School friend comic which lasted me the entire packet, I loved Tuesdays imageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

All such happy memories. image

most of my memories of childhood involve toe curling embarassment now (like the time when I was little, I watched an old family friend and said "you don't drink like a fish...." 

or the other kind of memories that get stirred up to the muddy surface of my brain are the ones involving some sort of horror at what had just happened, such as the dropped tea cake/breadcake/ full of delicious hot roast pork and stuffing last seen on the ground in Barnsley market circa 1962. I still remember handing over the last of my pocket money for it and.....image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,458

Pansyface image.  Your toe curling moments reminded me of an afternoon sitting on my friends settee watching The Cisco Kid.  The family were so entrenched in the programme that i didn't like to disturb them by speaking (very shy child) so I ......peed myself on their sofa. image     I was about 8 or 9 yrs old. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

image Ah, happy days!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

RB, that just reminded me of the time when I was 7 at a family party image...

I think I'll just concentrate on remembering running in excitedly to tell Mum Mr. Bean had arrived, and pretend the rest of my childhood was just a bad dream. image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Bit too much Runny infoimageimage

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,458

GEMMA. imageimage.   hope I haven't offended anyone image

• school dinners. I only started having them at high school, and they were great! there was always chips and sausages, and a pudding, corned beef hash pie. once we had a roast pork dinner, all the trimmings, and I put my fork into a roast potato and it flew in the air into the games teachers lap.

happy days!