Forum home Fruit & veg

how deep rooting are courgettes?

hi, I've recently moved house and have inherited some rasised beds. But on digging one over I've found it is very gravelly after about a spade depth down and there's hard slabs (brick?) that prevent digging further in some patches/quadrants. I was planning to grow courgettes and sugar snaps here but now not sure. Sweet corn was another option. Too shallow? Should I try to build sides up a bit more? Or what would be better shallow rooting veg? Thanks!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I haven't found courgettes or peas to be deep rooted they have always been easy to pull out at the end of the season. I don't know about sweetcorn but considering how tall they grow I think they must need a reasonable anchor. 

I would say build the beds up a bit, enrich them with new stuff and maybe you will have more options. 

I don't have raised beds but I'm sure someone who has will post and advise you.

Enjoy the veggies that you grow imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,782

I agree with KEF image The depth of those beds will be fine for courgettes and peas, but I wouldn't put sweetcorn there.  In my experience they need firmer soil than a raised bed will usually provide.  They are also very thirsty so I find they're best planted in the soil rather than a raised bed.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NattygirlNattygirl Posts: 21

Brilliant. Thanks for such quick replies. I'll carry on with courgettes/peas then. Looking forward to a productive summer, fingers crossed!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I grew sweetcorn in my raised beds last year. Depth about 12 - 16 inches. They were amazingly good. Never had such a good crop.

I only have raised bed to grow in. All on Tarmac.
  • Hi I grow my courgettes in buckets on top of my raised bed they trail over but it is much easier for wateringimage

• Yes,  I would think courgettes would be fine, also outdoor cucumbers and squashes,  peppers, chillis, peas, beans and salad greens.  It's a bit late to start shallots, but onion sets would be fine. NOT carrots, parsnips , chard or potatoes. Strawberries would be OK too. Some herbs don't mind it being a bit gravelly (thyme, sage, maybe oregano, chives).