Dahlia tubers

Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 148

hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I should be watering the pots I have put dahlia tubers into. 

I planted up several in pots last month and put in a window sill. One has leaves starting to show. Do I lightly water them regularly or leave them dry?  This is my first time to try growing dahlias. Currently, they're in dry compost.  I'm afraid I'll rot the tubers if I water. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,020

Good question, I have been watering mine just a little, they aren't showing yet.  Hope they are OK. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 148

Yes, I've been wetting mine, but it feels wrong. Surely I should only water if new growth is appearing? I'm afraid I'll rot them all. Do you have yours in sun? 

Does anyany one have any idea when they should start putting out new growth. Mine all llandaff and Arabian night. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

They will need some water as the tubers can dry out over winter (depends how you store them)and need to rehydrate. I add just a little at a time to dampen the compost at the beginning. Once they are showing signs of vigorous growth you can water more freely, but don't let them sit in water.

Right that sounds as if I should be OK.  Haven't been soaking them just watering a little every few days.  Mine are in the greenhouse, no real heat just a heater on frost setting.  Fingers crossed.

Edd one of my hostas is showing the other five are not.  I always leave my dahlia's in the garden and so far I haven't lost any and they get better each year.  I have bought 4 new ones this year and they are in pots in the greenhouse, none are showing yet.I wouldn't disturb the ones in your garden, wait and see, they may be OK.

• CharlieBotCharlieBot Posts: 208

I potted mine up just over 2 weeks ago and nothing yet. I have been watering when they get bone dry as greenhouse has bee fairly warm some days. Fingers crossed they do regrow as looking to use some for my wedding in late August.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,271

Beware that slugs will have the tops off dahlias and hostas.

I have just potted up some dahlia tubers from last year but I will bring them into the conservatory, its not warm enough at nights out there. I left most of them in the ground, no sign yet, but seeds are up so it wont matter.

I am going to have a go at splitting the hostas now, as Monty did, I have always done them in the Autumn before.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

Edd, I've left my gladioli in the ground for the 3rd year running (also NE) and the small ones are up as normal. I wouldn't expect to see the large ones until later on. They aren't in a particularly claggy part of the garden though.