Forum home Plants

penstemon seeds

Hi Guys (Perkiimage )are you having good luck with yours? I have left the single one that germinated in the tray but it's not getting any biggerimage  I have been out in the garden cutting back the perennials and only two penstemon have survived the winter but they had seed heads so I have shaken them into an envelope .Did you say to sow them in late autumn without heat or in January with heat?( my memory s not what it was and that wasn't goodimage )

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,737

Hi Primrose - mine are doing ok but not growing much either, I got some more penstemon seeds ( wedding bells ) last week off Gardening new magazine which I have sow as well. I sow mine and put them on my bedroom windowsill north east /east facing so they don't get much direct sunlight but still get light.  I sowed my scarlet queen late February/early march without heat just a plastic lid on top.

This is how big they are now, the pot in the middle.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,953

I sow mine as soon as they come off the plant, late summer.

Easy to do from cuttings though, late summer again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Do you think the seeds I harvested today might germinate?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,953

I wouldnt think so primrose, but why not try, just use a small pot, nothing to lose, i think they have got too wet over the winter, but have a go.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.