Forum home Talkback

fruit trees

hello, im new to gardening and have big ideas which i will have to take one step of a time image, i have bought some fruit trees recently from the supermarket and have to plant them in containers as i have no land to grow them in, obviously i have large containers but wondering what compost i would use, as i think different fruits are funny about compost, i have apple, pear, cherry and plum trees.  i thought a multi-purpose compost would be okay but not sure if this is right? can anyone help?

• JohanneleJohannele Posts: 19

I think it may be a good idea to choose some really good quality (expensive) compost. Even though your containers are large, they are still containers, meaning that the trees have to live on what you provide them with. With good soil it is easier to succeed. I'm not from the UK so I can't advise on any specific brand to use or avoid.

Also, remember to add nutrients continuously until the end of summer. You can use different types.

I think all four trees will be happy in the same type of compost. Good luck! image

• I agree with Verdun, if they are crafted on anything else other than dwarfing root stock they will struggle, especially the plum and cherry as thease are vigorous even when they are crafted on dwarfing stock.

Fruit in pots you realy need something like apples on mm27 or mm109 and I think you can get Ballerina type trees which are small and up straight.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,749

I've never really grown fruit trees, but wouldn't the pot be a natural "dwarfing " mechanism?

Devon.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,712

Yes, you're right to an extent Hosta - the "bonsai" effect I suppose.  The RHS doesn't recommend apples on M27 rootstock for pots because it's too dwarfing.  They say M9 or M26 is more successful.  For cherries they recommend Colt or Gisela 5 rootstock, and for pear, Quince C.  St Julien A for plums.  All these are fairly dwarfing rootstocks.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • many thanks for your replies