Forum home Plants

Help with remembering plant name?

GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,310

Hope someone can help jog my memory with this.

Years ago I saw a house plant that I think may have been a type of philodendron (or perhaps not). It had dark purple/magenta foliage, the leaves hung down distinctly.

It is driving me nuts because I hunted for an example all over the internet at the time and only found it available from a Dutch nursery, at the time the shipping costs were prohibitive (around 15 years ago). Now I think it is worth searching again for it as the cost won't be such an issue and it may be available from the newer online suppliers. 

I think there may have been a picture of it The House Plant Expert book by Dr. D. G. Hessayon though can't be sure now if that is where I saw it.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it was a pretty tall plant up to around 6 feet and grown up poles like a philodendron.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

Hi Gemma JF. There is a variety of Philodendron erubescens called Black Cardinal which seems to fit your description. I hope this helps. Liz

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,310

Thanks Liz, doesn't look like the one. I guess the colour might be described as burgandy, the leaves I think were heart shaped and hung down in quite a striking way.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,280

Good luck with tracking it down. Sorry I couldn't help. Liz

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,286

Like this, philodendron scandens

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Very similar in shape Lyn, but more the colour of the plant Edd suggested 

I've ordered a copy of the 'House Plant Expert' but I really can't remember which edition I use to have (think it got lost in a house move about ten years ago), so it may or may not be in there. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

One of the decorative Rex-type begonias maybe?

http://www.dibleys.com/dibleys-shop/Rex_Type_Begonias.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 454

I have a 1980 enlarged edition there is one called P. melanochryson (P. andreanum) Black Gold which has a velvety surface.Another on is P.Burgundy.image

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 454

There is another plant in there called Iresine herbstii, Blood Leaf or Beefsteak Plant. Don' t know if that could be it purple leaf with pink veining and the leaves look a bit droopy.image

I think  you have it Fritillary, P.melanochrysum Black Gold, only picture I can find on the web, but this is the one I was thinking of:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQViXA_-eidtPkki3tdn5SK5L6-E4EQNbjYkidVOKMdju84lUtx

Thanks so much to everyone for all the help amazing to get it from my pretty poor description image Now I just need to hunt one down. image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,793

hurrah. 

Been following this one all day.

Well done Fritillary.

Devon.