Forum home Plants

Magnolia Stellata (pink)

Hello all,

I'd love to plant a magnolia stellata but I'd like a pink one. In my internet searches, I find that 'Rosea' is probably better than 'Rosea King' and is slightly smaller.I don't want one which will grow too tall and I'd prefer it to be scented, even if only lightly.

Does anyone have experience of either of these forms? Also I can't find anywhere online which supplies 'Rosea' apart from a plant in a 9 cm pot! Ideally I'd like one in a 2-3 litre pot.

Any advice on this welcome!

• AWBAWB Posts: 415

Botanica sells a good range of Magnolias.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,740

I have a white one, and a leonard messel, but have never noticed a scent from either. Very pretty thoughimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I was going to say, but Chicky beat me to it, I have a Leonard Mesell which has lovely pink star flowers and is just coming into flower now.

Can't say I've noticed any scent though

http://www.plantes-shopping.fr/medias/boutique/magnolia-loebneri-leonard-messel/magnolia-loebneri-leonard-messel-1.jpg

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,712

Gorgeous picture, Matty!  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Thinks 'Thanks to Mr Google' image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,712

You needn't have confessed, Matty...  image  you could have left us believing you had expansive acres full of beautiful magnolias!

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I have a lovely dark purple one, it comes into flower two or three weeks later than all of the paler ones that I see locally.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,024

I've been looking at Stellata 'Jane Platt' beautiful but not sure re fragrance.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands