Italian rye grass seeds

My mum gave me some of the above and in just wondering if anyone has grown it? IM guessing its a tall grass image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

Rye grass is usually used as part of a hardwearing lawn. Mow regularly to desired height.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

I don't know about suitable for lawns. I have used it for reseeding a cow paddock, mixed with other grasses. It grows fast and tall but only lasts about 3 years. Farmers use it as a catch crop.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Too tough and course for lawns, I think.
  • Sowed it as a lifter with Vicia sativa (sinker and fixer). Nothing! I sowed it too late, the ground was too heavy or the wood mice ate it.

It's usually for overwintering or agi use. When were you planning to dig it in? 

• I wasn't, the seeds were given to my mum as part of a kit to plant in a container, was just trying to find out abit of info might not plant then image
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

http://www.bridportcommunityorchard.org.uk/styled-3/styled-22/files/italian_rye_grass.jpg

Strange, not an ornamental grass for a container. You'd do better with something like a pennisetum.

It. rye grass in pic.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Ah ta, it was part of a kit with a small grass for front and this for back, ill offer it to people then image