Forum home Talkback

Leaf curl

Any ideas on putting a cover over wall trained peach and cherry  to stop leaf curl?

iv had plastic draped over them since February but it's soo windy the plastic has ripped so wondered if there was something else I could try.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I made a rather strange looking shelter out of old poles from those plastic greenhouses and wedged perspex and plastic on the top, has lasted for 12 months so far. You can buy a "disposable" greenhouse for just over ??30 from greenfingers.com, that would work, the cover is a bit pants, but that can be replaced.

I would have done what Verdun said if i had the option, unfortunately i dont have the right aspect to have them by the house image
  • Verdun I had the plastic battened on the top but it is securing the bottom which is a problem. I secured the bottom by digging a trench and burying the bottom in it,but the high winds we had yesterday ripped it across just above the trench.

HELP.

• I was under the impression you had to cover the tree about February before the leaves emerged and uncover later on when the leaves are older and tougher.

you don't see peach leaf curl straight away but it happens when the leaves are new.

i don't mind being corrected on this if I am wrong.

I leave mine covered all year round, once a few of the leaves on my trees get it, its a real struggle to get rid again, the victorians used to have specific peach porches which were quite pretty, wonder if you can still get them image
  • Verdun I had the plastic battened on the top but it is securing the bottom which is a problem. I secured the bottom by digging a trench and burying the bottom in it,but the high winds we had yesterday ripped it across just above the trench.

HELP.

I dont think there was much you could have done with the strength of the winds, hopefully thats the worst over, so a replacement should last! image
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Just in case anyone is thinking of getting a Peach tree, Avalon Pride show excellent resistance to peach leaf curl.  I only have to remove a dozen or so leaves each year and it produces excellently flavoured, very juicy, 'shop-size' peaches. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.