Help don't no what to do

Hi, 

Can anyone give me advice on what to do, I have 100s and I mean 100s of black spiders running round on the gravel in my front and back garden, they are not tiny ones they are quite big about a cm in diameter.  I am scared to walk on gravel in case I kill them. Good job I'm not scared of spiders. Can anyone tell me why they are here and what to do please.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Are you in the UK? They sound like some type of ground spider, probably just enjoying the gravel warming up in the sun? 

If you can post a picture I can probably identify the species, or find someone that can, which will help understand why there are so many on your gravel. image 

• Hi GemmaJF,

I live about 5 miles from Ormskir Lands. I will take a photo when it stops raining. They look just like the black spiders that coe in the house only a lot smaller

• If there are that many you certainly couldn't kill them all even if you set out to do that, so I would enjoy the spectacle, watch what they're doing and not worry at all about it.

• Hi Joe_the_Gardner, I wouldn't hurt them I don't want to walk on them there's that many of them scurrying around. They are here for a reason just wish I new what it was ????
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

We get them, not to the extent of Ragdoll. they sunbathe on the patio and the minute you vibrate the stone by walking on it they run down the cracks.  As I put outdoor toms on the patio I wondered if they eat aphids ..I would like to think so. image

Maybe tap dancing is the answer image

• Hi,  Thanks for replies,  my spiders do the same thing when suns out they run round (when it rains as it is again now will it ever end) there's no sign of them. Love to no where they go over winter, also as there's so many of them are they babies that have hatched.  

It might be a week before I can get photo as forecast is for rain and wind till Friday.

Don't worry about them Ragdoll you won't stand on them they run faster than you walk image

Nice to know that the ones that lives on my patio comes indoors for the winter and get big and fat image