Forum home Fruit & veg

Selling plants for charity

At the end of May it is Dementia Awareness week and we run a group for younger people with Dementia and I would like to raise so money for it, so was thinking about selling plants.

I will be starting them from seeds, which plants/veg/fruit plants would be best? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,754

Great time for  a plant sale.

There's lots you could have ready from seed.

Tomatoes are always good sellers, Courgettes too I'd think and many flowering plants can be sown to look attractive by then too. Cosmos germinate quickly and would be a decent size by then

Even with the clock change, my brain's not quite up to speed yet. Others will be along with further suggestions. 

Great cause: I wish you luck.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502

I'm afraid it depends on where you are and who is likely to be coming to buy and also whether you have hselter such as a greenhouse or coldframes for growing half-hardy annuals..

I help organise a plant sale every May and one year plants like tomatoes, courgettes and pumpkins can do very well and another year be left sitting there.   

I would suggest a mix of annuals and perennials so cosmos, zinnias, French marigolds, larkspur and nicotiana for borders, lobelia and petunias for hanging baskets, achillea, delphinium, lupins and such for perennials.    All of these are good, strudy, recognisable plants and easy to care for.    If your target market is experienced you could try less common plants.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

It seems to be universal that plants in flower sell best.  If you can buy plug plants and provide cover you will get half hardy bedding plants in flower by then.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I agree with Marion. You can buy little trays of small plug plants at the moment. Pot them on and you can make a healthy profit.  Maybe some geraniums (pelagoniums) or  busy lizzies.  Chilli plants are also good sellers but I struggle with germination. Cosmos are also a good one.

great cause. Hope it's a success for you.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,024

You could try some Wildflowers, even if not in flower make sure you have a photo of some so that people can see what they look like.  You could also give some ideas of what looks good with what, people might then buy two lots instead of one.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502

Funnily enough I have recently sown chililes and toms for me and the plant sale.  The chilies are up but no toms or sweet peppers yet.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    Some local nurseries may provide you with plants on a sale or return basis so it is worth enquiring about this in case of an emergency with your seed sown plants.
  • In my experience I agree that annual bedding plants do much better than veg at these kind of sales, as the majority of people are not highly experienced gardeners, but do like to plant up pots of flowers and the minority of people that grow veg tend to raise their own seed or buy plugs commercially.

At our sale last year we sold pots and pots of Cosmos....not surprising when you see how expensive they are to buy in the nurseries. So cheap and easy to raise from seed. My south African stepmum always laughs at our obsession with them in the UK. Over there they are weeds growing in the roadside! We always put photos on view of plants not in flower.

Good luck with your sale. A great cause.

• StagbeetleStagbeetle Posts: 174

Thank you for all your suggestions image I will ask around at some of the garden centres and look at the plugs.

Its a daunting task as I'm very new to this. If I have excess flowers left over then I will put them in my allotment so they won't be wasted. if it doesn't go well, then a cake sell might be on the cards image 

The flowers will be on sell to staff and hopefully service uses and their carers.

Will look into cosmos seeds image