Crow or raven?

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Look at this mahoooosive visitor!  Can anyone tell if it's a crow or a raven? What's the difference? Thanks!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Think it's a rook Tootlesimage.  It has a lighter bit at the bottom on the beak, where the crow is a bit smaller with a black beak.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Lesley. It's back and forth. Huge great thing!

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535

I don't know TootlesI but sure Lesley is right but I do know he is blooming gorgeous image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,631

Yes, looks like a rook to me. Ravens are huge and tend to live around cliffs or mountains.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You can tell when they call as ravens are very distinctive. When a raven flies over you can tell by the tail shape; again very distinctive. They are larger than crows, which are larger than rooks.

The photo looks like a rook, judging by the bare patch at the base of the beak.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,252

I've always considered rooks look a bit bigger than the average crow.

Ravens are absolutely huge.

That is definitely a rook btw. What's it up to? Perhaps looking for nesting material? It is quite unusual to see a single rook, they are usually seen in small groups.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,631

The old saying is: if you see a rook by itself; it is a crow, and if you see a group of crows together; they are rooks.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Unless of course it is a jackdaw!

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Its a rook, you can tell by the large grey beak. Ravens have large black beaks which make their heads look small, they are normally found in wooded areas and they have a most distinctive metallic call.

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Jackdaws are very proud looking birds, with beautiful shining blue black heads. I have rooks and jackdaws in the garden often as there is a huge rookery not far. They are quite cheeky, as have no problem coming right up to the house to steal our dogs dinner.  image