Forum home Talkback

Crow or raven?

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Look at this mahoooosive visitor!  Can anyone tell if it's a crow or a raven? What's the difference? Thanks!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Think it's a rook Tootlesimage.  It has a lighter bit at the bottom on the beak, where the crow is a bit smaller with a black beak.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Lesley. It's back and forth. Huge great thing!

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,550

I don't know TootlesI but sure Lesley is right but I do know he is blooming gorgeous image

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,962

Yes, looks like a rook to me. Ravens are huge and tend to live around cliffs or mountains.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You can tell when they call as ravens are very distinctive. When a raven flies over you can tell by the tail shape; again very distinctive. They are larger than crows, which are larger than rooks.

The photo looks like a rook, judging by the bare patch at the base of the beak.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I've always considered rooks look a bit bigger than the average crow.

Ravens are absolutely huge.

That is definitely a rook btw. What's it up to? Perhaps looking for nesting material? It is quite unusual to see a single rook, they are usually seen in small groups.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,962

The old saying is: if you see a rook by itself; it is a crow, and if you see a group of crows together; they are rooks.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,298

Unless of course it is a jackdaw!

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Its a rook, you can tell by the large grey beak. Ravens have large black beaks which make their heads look small, they are normally found in wooded areas and they have a most distinctive metallic call.

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Jackdaws are very proud looking birds, with beautiful shining blue black heads. I have rooks and jackdaws in the garden often as there is a huge rookery not far. They are quite cheeky, as have no problem coming right up to the house to steal our dogs dinner.  image