Blind daffs solution??

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

morning

went to a quiz at our local garden centre last night. One of the questions was 'what do you apply to daffs in autumn to prevent them coming blind in spring?' 

The answer was tomrite. Has anyone heard this or tried it?

a lot of my daffs in pots have come blind this year. Once they are blind, is that it or might they flower the following year? Also wonder if this works on tulips too?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,918

I only grow daffs in pots for one year. The second year is never as good. I  feed after flowering and when they die down, I spread them around the garden in between the perennials.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What do you feed them with Fidgetbones?

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 511

I would suggest that you feed them a tomato feed when they stop flowering .

• I feed mine chicken pellet fertiliser just when they are finishing flowering,the bulbs need to be feed to replenish for the next season. I feel that feeding in the autumn is too late as the bulbs will be going into dormicy by then.

Fab, thanks.

can ones that have been blind come back with flowers another year?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

They can Tootles but I wouldn't waste good pot space on them, it may not be next year. Feed them as Chrissy says and plant them out. Get some new ones for the pots

Thanks muchly. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

All spring bulbs may be fed with a low nitrogen feed once the flowers have finished, but before the leaves begin to wither.