Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting more seeds

I had quite a productive hour in my garden yesterday. I had to plant new cucumber seeds as the last seedlings died to me transferring them to greenhouse too early! I also had to redo my sweet peppers. 

Iv ivy also had a go with my free zinnia seeds. They will grow hopefully into a beautiful mix of colours. I've never grown these before but am eager to learn!! Have any of you been up to much? Not a nice day today patchy rain and cold!! Roll on the warm weather!  Don't forget gardeners to spring forward the clocks!! We may lose an hour but think of the longer evenings to indulge in the garden!!!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hyacinth I don't know where in the country you are, but my cumbers won't get sown to then transfer to an unheated GH for at least another three weeks, they germinate and grow so fast. 

My peppers are just germinating indoors and won't need potting for another week or two, they will then stay indoors until May unless the weather is exceptional and they can go into the GH. 

I have some Zinnia seeds and I thought they needed 15 - 20C to germinate I'd best check the packet image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,872

I won't be sowing cucumbers just yet either. I sowed the Zinnias in an electric heated propagator, recently pricked them out, they are in the GH with night heat.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I have some Zinnia seeds in a propagator on my kitchen window sill which are now about an inch tall. I have some Black Bamboo seeds in props on the garage window sill showing no signs of life yet and some Sweet peas in my little plastic GH.

Over the last couple of days I've been making some long narrow planters out of scrap floorboards which I will put along the edge of my drive and sow poppy seeds in. The weather has put a stop to that little project for now though.

• Mm I think I've sown my cucumbers too early. The packet said from March but they do grow fast. Think I will have to keep them indoors until the weather really gets warmer. At least next year I know not to grow them until late April early May. I'm learning albeit slowly!!!!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I sowed zinnia in a heated prop six weeks ago. Here they are looking a tad leggy but not too bad.

Its hard to put the brakes on with sowing isnt it?! 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,657

Zinnias i sowed last week in individual small pots, with a propagater lid on. They are just starting to germinate.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I sowed my cucumbers in Feb but will grow them in the concervatory, started them off in the propagater, wait until they have true leaves that way they will have some roots to grow on. With seedlings I have done it too early and they don't service.Don't plant cucumbers too deep or they will rot.Then I put them on a heat tray