Forum home Fruit & veg

Fruit tree supports

a1154a1154 Posts: 800

Im after something i saw visiting a stately home once, but dont know what they are called.

I want to put a fruit tree inside a metal frame (like a obelisk but wider) so that i can grow them like an espalier but free standing, not with a wall behind,

these looked amazing and were really easy to harvest.  I expect stately homes just commission things to be made, but i thought i could have a go at getting one, and making one if not.  

Anyone help?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,221
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 800

Hi Pansy, no they werent much like those, different shape and much more substantial, like ironmongery, though I still like those in the pic.  Thanks. 

Verdun i have done my apples espalier on the cheap. These things were very decorative, but also gave instant height.  I expect they are costly though. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,782

Was it like this?

I took that picture from the Wellywoman blog https://wellywoman.wordpress.com/ Hope she doesn't mind image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I can't see the support for the tree, but yes it's definitely something like that.  

So....any idea where to get one?  I'm thinking of taking a design to my local blacksmith, see what he could make one for.