Forum home Problem solving

I'm trying to root this plant but will it work?

Anyway I've got it insidebecause I guess it exotic but do you think this could root? Because the big leaves are ever so attractive? Thanks fellow gardners ????

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,742

What plant is it Daisy??? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RHgardener1RHgardener1 Posts: 344

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,987

Is it a Fatsia japonica leaf?  Most plants are very hard to root from a single leaf I think.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

I don't know Liriodendron however all I know is that I really like it? Is it exotic? image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,987

If it's Fatsia, no, it's not exotic - people grow it in their (sheltered) gardens here in the Pennines.  But someone will no doubt post here with a definite identification before too long! 

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Yep I've researched it and its says it's from Japan? image but if it is how easy to root From a stem and leaf ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think you need some stem, not a leaf stalk and less leaf. there'll be too much water loss with the proportions you've got there

So is there anything I can do Nutcutlet? image 

Yep I've researched it and its says it's from Japan? image but if it is how easy to root From a stem and leaf ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

japonica means from Japan, see earlier thread re use of Latin names.

I'm not a cuttings expert, kiss of death really, like me and a house plantimage

If you've only got a leaf and its stalk and can't get anything else, I'd reduce the leaf area and hope.