Forum home The potting shed

monty don potting shed

Ive always wanted a potting shed seeing monty potter about in his made me even more determined. Ive finally finished mine and its great even got a chair and a radio in. Happy days image

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

Have always longed for a greenhouse and when we moved here finally realised my dream and bought a polycarbonate one. Unfortunately after several years of enjoyment I now have to let it go because the weather is so unpredictable and when we have really high winds, the panels are ripped out on a regular basis. In the summer I am putting it up for sale and will purchase a potting shed instead. Although it will be more weather proof than the greenhouse, I will miss it dreadfully. Am going to buy a shed with large (ish) windows so that I can potter around when the weather's not too bright as I cannot put electricity in it as it will be too far from the house to run a cable. Have already got my radio sorted and will try and get a comfy chair off freecycle site. Happy daysimage 

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Fantastic I cant wait for the weather to warm up image
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,569

Shazza, I've seen sheds advertised with a row of sloping windows (to maximise light), with a wide windowsill beneath, specially to use for propagating.  image  Wish I had room for one...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,964

That's a shame Shazza. I have a polycarbonate greenhouse and used to have the same problem. We live high up near the mountains and get very windy weather here, and the panels were always coming out. We sealed the plastic strips in place on the panels with translucent sealant and make sure the door is kept tight shut when windy, as this seemed to cause most of the problems. The door would blow open and the wind would whistle straight through dislodging the panels. This seems to have done the trick and no problems since. Still get the wind banging the panels but they are intact. image

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Got my new potting shed last summer.  So far got the potting bench, shelving and hooks etc sorted for my tools, pots and everything else.  Also had time to paint the inside a soft blue colour (not very practical, but who cares!) and make some bunting to hang up inside (cue much eye-rolling from OH).  My birthday is next week and I have asked for a digital radio for the shed.  Am also keeping an eye out for a funky deckchair too.!