Forum home Talkback

Sea Holly

Hi, I have only just joined this site and am really looking forward to chatting with everyone and picking up useful tips.

Last year I managed to grow some sea holly from seed and have nurtured it through the winter. I have now planted it outside and it seems to be okay, even though it did snow this week!

Any tips on how to keep it looking good, feeding and winter care would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• ANNABEL3ANNABEL3 Posts: 7

As an addition to the above. I said I was new and posted the above before seeing the section on plants!

I would still be interested in hearing of anyone's actual experience of growing and looking after sea holly.

Thanks again.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,834

Hi Annabel welcome to the forum, I did type a reply but somehow lost it.  I have a sea holly that I have been trying to dig up for the past two years (it's in the wrong spot).  I seem to leave a bit behind each time and it grows back stronger than before.  It's in an exposed spot, full sun, well drained soil.  Judging by how it's survived my attempts to get rid of it I shouldn't worry too much about how to look after it.   They seem to do alright on their own.

Judging by my failed attempts to

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,834

Oh, don't quite know what happened there.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,567

Hi Annabel

Don't worry about where you post, it all ends up on the same pageimage

Is this the native sea holly? 

I don't think any of them like sticky clay and being wet all winter.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593

Its always quite wet here, being on the edge of Dartmoor it has its own rain cloud! Sea holly thrives and spread by self seading here, I do have it in full sun.

No special treatment, I cut the dead flowers off as they fade but last year kept some to run to seed.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,416

Welcome Annabel.

Sea holly, tough as old boots, have no fear.( unless you've planted it in  a bog)

Devon.
  • ANNABEL3ANNABEL3 Posts: 7

Thank you everyone who replied about sea holly. All the comments give me hope that it will survive. Thank you.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,987

Can't go wrong with yellow and blue, Verdun.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go