Michaelmas Daisy Pruning

LucidLucid Posts: 323

Hi,

Last Autumn I bought a few 9cm Michaelmas Daisies - Symphyotrichum novi-belgii 'Purple Dome'. I hadn't realised that they needed to be pruned back after flowering in the Autumn, and just assumed it was Spring I had to do this. At the moment they are very twiggy and look like they're possibly dead. However I'm struggling to find information on how they're supposed to look at this time of you. I've attached a photo below.

If anyone is in the know on these types of plants please can you let me know if I should prune them now, and if so how much? Or if not whether they look as they should do for this time of you.

Thanks for any help and advice,

Lucid image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,173

At this time of year all I can see of mine are the remains of the top growth which I ought to have removed in autumn, but never got round to it. All you need to do now is to cut of the dead twigs, back to soil level and wait.

• LucidLucid Posts: 323

Thanks Berghill. So when you say cut it back to soil level is that just the little side branches, or should the main stem, or 'trunk', also be cut right down? Apologies if that's a really stupid question but I'm very new to this.

Lucid image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,069

Take the dead looking stick off to the bottom Lucidimage

Thanks nutcutlet. I thought that was most likely what was meant. Fingers crossed they'll grow back nicely then.

Lucid image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,069

I should think they will Lucid. Over-enthusiasm is more likely to be a problem, depending on which one you've got

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    One advantage of leaving the cutting back until spring........you can see where they are. It is far too easy to forget where perennials are lurking. Your michaelmas daisies will soon show new green shoots.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I do try to research these kind of things online, but that one had me a little stuck. I'm currently doing an overhaul on my front garden beds so want to get the pruning all sorted out at the same time.

Lucid image