I have found mice droppings in my compost bin.
1. can I use the compost?
2. How do I get rid of them?
Mouse droppings are really quite small - are you sure they're not rats?
If they're mice I wouldn't worry at all - the compost is fine to use (although as always you should use gloves when handling compost).
Compost should be turned/stirred/aerated regularly and kept moist - that should make it much less attractive to mice.
Hope that helps.
Compost is fine to use, but (I hope I won't shock you) I use mouse traps when mice are were I'd rather they weren't. They breed quickly and I don't want to use poison because of other birds and animals who may eat them.
Thanks Busy-Lizzie, but I think I'll let the little fellas live.
We have always had mice in our compost at home and at the allotment. The only problem is the shock they give me when I disturb the heap. My husband did try humane traps but quickly got fed up. It seems that for every one caught there were more waiting to take their place!
I guess they can stay then. I certainly wouldn't want to kill them.