Forum home Garden design

Tree and screening ideas

Hi everyone,

My garden is 24ft by 44ft. At the end is a side on aspect of a house (no windows just a huge ugly wall) to the right im over looked by a housing estate, to the left is just other peoples gardens. 

The right side of the garden is full sun from around 10am to 6pm. along this side I really want to plant a border to block out the hosing estate.I dont want this border growing over 10ft/12ft in order to be respectfull of my neighbors light. although the odd larger specimum would be fine

Then replicate  smaller vesion on the left (shade)

I have the ablity to build small raised beds (max3ft) to cheat my way to maturity and height. 

Firstly id love ideas as to what to plant on the right for screening - im going for a structural garden with cottage plantng to soften the structure.

Id also love your advice about planting silver birch at the end of the garden as  have been told they wont interfere with my neightbours foundations? But i am concernd they will grow to big and look silly in the small garden? I was hoping to plant 3 small varities and create some form of woodland area in this section of the garden?

Wha do you think?

What do you think should be the max size of tree in my size garden to get the proporations nice?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,669

Hi Liz, you can get Silver Birches that don't grow enormous, but I'm no expert re foundations. Do you want all year cover for the right side of the garden or are you OK for the screening to be during the summer when you will probably use the garden more.  You can get some awfully tall perennials that would provide screening during the summer early autumn up to 5/6ft.  If you are looking for more permanent planting such as evergreens then I'm not convinced they would look right in raised beds. 

There are some really good plantspeople on this site and I'm sure someone will be along to give you some specific advice re species, but in the meantime Crocus is a good site to browse and they provide you with ht, spread, flowering time info. Regarding plants for the left side of your garden take a look at a website www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,992

Silver birch can grow quite tall, but it has non invasive roots and is light and airy, which is why they can be planted in smallish gardens. I have a silver birch jacquemontii, which isn't huge after 22 years. I think in your garden that 3 might be pushing it a bit, but you can get a multi stemmed one. Photo is my tree in winter.

Crab apples are good for small gardens. So is Amalanchier Lamarkii. Lovely white blossom and autumn colour.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • muti steamed would work nicely thanks - what do you think i could team it with for structure in replacement of the other two trees? 

In regards to the screening i dont mind semi/decid, as it will be over the 2m hedge rule thingy. It would be grate if the brches/steams etc were dense when not in leaf.

I was umming about pleaching something for the left then allowing roses/honeysuckle to scramble through to soften the effect - but im impatient and want my finished mature garden NOW! lol