Forum home Fruit & veg

Looks like i'm now growing a bell pepper...

LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Ok so as a test and a bit of fun I planted a seed from a red bell pepper - thinking nothing would happen i planted lobelia around it, well last night i had a surprise, i now have a wee shoot....

...now what do i do?

Wasn't thinking it would actually grow so whats the best thing to do?

It will be re-potted this weekend, but what do i do then, i know nothing about peppers, always thought that they were hard to grow so never made an effort to try and grow one. So now i have one any advice would be very helpful - is there any issues as it is from shop bought pepper or will it grow normally?

Once again everyone Thank you very much, you are all teaching me soo much!

(like i needed to give myself any more work already growing: Cascading Lobelia, Garlic, tattties (early and main) will be doing paris carrots, red baron onions, chives, little gem lettice, rocket, various herbs 3 different kinds of tomatos - yes i stupidly bought tomatos offline n' will be arriving end of april? i think)....

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

Morning Lucy, look at that! Looks very vigorous image

I'm new to peppers and aubergines this year, I'm using this as my basic guide. Mostly because it says treat them all the same which easier for me to remember:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growing_aubergines_chillies_peppers1.shtml

I'm sure others will be along soon with more info and tips. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,739

Hi Lucy, Peppers are fairly easy but can't stand the cold, so the most important thing is to grow it on at a minimum of 10C in good light.  I find it's best to pot them on several times, first into a 3" pot, then 5" and finally into about a 10".  Don't pot-on into a larger one until the roots have reached the sides of the pot.  Unless we have a really good summer they need to be kept under glass so keep it somewhere heated like a windowsill until it is about 8" tall.  It's then ready for the greenhouse, growhouse or (at a push) under a large cloche.  Like tomatoes, don't feed it until the first flowers appear and then feed with half-strength tomato feed once a fortnight.  Best to hand-pollinate every flower using a small, soft paintbrush or similar. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,495

I only ever use seed straight out of a bought pepper. Last year I chose a long banana shaped one, really sweet and very prolific.

I only  keep them in my conservatory, never outside, potting on gradually to reach 8 inch pots. Feed with tomato food when buds appear.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

As ever you lot always have the answer image

Lyn its good to hear that ones from a pepper are "normal" so i will keep experimenting with them (if this one dies lol!)

Bob i will do as you say and pot onto a 3" then 5" then 10" it will be kept inside as i only have a small coldframe which wouldn't be high enough for it. and Will feed it when it gets its first flower (silly me didnt realise they flowered but i'm guessing thats where the pepper comes from lolimage)

My partner will be delighted to hear that its another one for the window sill...image lol

I maybe needing to rehome a couple of houseplants at this rate...

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I find bought chillie seed is hard to germinate so last autumn I collected from a bought chillies and they have come up,they are just the same as peppers.