Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Planting seeds and germination

how can you keep your greenhouse at 4 °C if you don't use any heat / and its -7 °C at your nursery?

• I too would like to know the answer regarding the temperature inside an unheated greenhouse. I have just inherited a greenhouse and would like to know what the temperature is in a greenhouse without heating it? Is it the same as outside or higher?
  • Response to asparagus: For planting it is the crown and the roots that are the most important. Cut the new growth back to 8cm. Plant the crowns 45cm apart in a well prepared bed. For the next two seasons only remove 1-2 spears per plant. In the third season you can cut regularly until mid June.
  • Response to cook: The glasshouse is heated to 4 °C which at that temperature only protects the plants from frost it does not encourage new growth. And yes our lowest temperature recorded in the last few weeks has been -6 °C. Which to be honest has been great as it is clearing up all the bugs and pests we have wintered.
  • Can I sow seeds(see below) in the coldframe outside from March without any heating. Seed packs are rose campian, cosmos, deliah, Agastache cana, Campanula Rockery ,Eryngium leavenworthii, Lysimachia atropurpurea, Papaver, Primula ,Sedum Rock Garden Mixed, Verbena bonariensis, Grass? Ornamental, Acanthus hungaricus, Eustoma grandiflorum, and many more...
  • is it too soon to sow seeds in the greenhouse i have a small parafin heater
  • How do i intice more butterflies into my garden this summer, what plants or shrubs can i introduce in addition to one new buddlia I planted last year?
  • I planted a grafted wisteria on the front of my house two and a half years ago when i moved in, so far it has lots of green growth but no flowers, i thought the grafted versions were supposed to flower, am i doing anything wrong ? what should i be doing to promote the flowers?
  • i cant seem to find anywere who sellthe petunia surfinia seeds i can get the plants but not in the seeds could anybody help me please
  • Reply to Petunia Surfinia: most prob the reason you cannot get the seeds is that the plants have plant breeders' rights on them. This means that your're not supposed to propagate without paying a royalty to the breeder so if seeds are available it will only be via the wholesale seeds houses.

If you see PBR on a label or plant catalogue this is what it means and you cannot sell plants without paying a fee to the breeder (though this goes on with hobby nurseries and some car-boot sellers who sell plants).

Garden centres and other nurseries have to charge higher prices then car boot sellers
    do to the higher cost for plants in first place

• I have a pot of crocosmia bulbs that i need some advice with. Half of them have rotted, but the rest are nice and hard still. what should be done with them and when should i re-plant them.