Forum home Talkback

Has anyone seen this plant before?

Hi! I thought that you might like to see a VERY STRANGE plant that has grown from a large stone after CHRISTMAS 2013! As you can see from my photo, the strange plant is JUST the TALL, GREEN PLANT with LARGE LEAVES - all growing up from between a large stone! The other plant is another one that I don't know what it is - it's just growing in the same plant pot!

Any guesses??????

Of course - it's an AVOCADO plant! BUT, I've NEVER seen one before and I'm really not sure WHAT it's going to look like, or HOW BIG it's going to grow!!!!!!!

Any comments greatly appreciated please!

Many thanks. God bless.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

It can grow to 25ft. Its frost tender. Have you got a big greenhouse?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • AnnEastwdAnnEastwd Posts: 10

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's currently growing on our landing, outside the bathroom, so, NO I haven't got a big greenhouse!

Can't I just 'nip' out the centre bud so that it should stop growing tall and start bushing out?

HELP! What on earth can I do with this potential MONSTER?

Many thanks. God bless.

• I'm so sorry AnnEastwd I can't help you at all but having a right old belly laugh at your reaction! 

• AnnEastwdAnnEastwd Posts: 10

Oh THANKS Heather! SO very helpful -

by the way,

ANY ONE KNOW of a 25ft tall Greenhouse, probably by 3ft diameter -

for a VERY SMALL garden!

Many thanks. God bless.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

It will only grow to 25ft in it's native climate (central America) and when in the ground.  As a housplant in a pot it you can just keep it until it gets too big and then dump it and start another.  Pinching out the growing tip should keep it in check for longer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878
    that is so funny edd