Best bee plants today

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

Nonea lutea

assorted pulmonarias, this one is P. rubra

Ribes laurifolium, I haven't got this one in the ground yet

Trachystemon orientalis

There must be bees in the photos somewhere, they were there when I pointed the camera.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,705

I haven't seen any bees yet this year although last weekend I noticed a few other critters...

You have some interesting plants Nut - lovely little flowers on the nonea luteaimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

I watched a honeybee on some crocuses on the terrace yesterday morning image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• A few large bumble bees  in garden where I live in Oxfordshire , started seeing them three weeks ago.

probably the queens. Might be just one or two being (pardon the puns) very beesy.

• Still no bees in Dundee yet. There are a few stunned looking Small Peacock butterflies fluttering around looking for nectar.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,490

I have bumblebees on the pulmonarias

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156

What lovely pictures nut image The last plant, the flower heads look similar to borage.

I had two bees stuck in the greenhouse yesterday, managed to rescue them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

I've always gone for 'interesting' plants Vic. 

Anything in a seed catalogue I've never heard of, if it's hardy and not a lime hater, I'll have a go.

Fishy, except for the Ribes, all those plants are Boraginaceae, a good bee family.

Trachystemon is great ground cover in deciduous shade.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741

Thanks for identifying the Nonea for me Nut. It appeared in my garden, out of the blue, two years ago. The first year, I let it flower because I didn't know what it was. Now I really wish that there were "none 'ere" because I can't get rid of it.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

I am still waiting to see a single butterfly or bee, I'm in inverness, scotland... i guess mine are still sleeping!

• I've seen quite a few Bombus spp around the narcissi and noctuid moths around my alliums here in Aberdeen, so they should be up and about foraging in Inverness, UK now or soon.