Forum home Fruit & veg

Few newbie questios (mainly tomatoes)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,576

I use the florists  buckets and then drill holes in the bottom for tomatoes. Morrisons sell them off cheap. If there are none out ask them to save them for you.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Cheers guys. One more thing which came to mind, guides seem to talk about feeding them when the trusses emerge, does this mean you don't give them any tomato food prior to this point and just let them take nutrients from the compost alone?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,679

Yes Joe - if you start feeding too early you'll get lots of leafy growth instead of them producing flowering trusses.  There's a school of thought that when a plant senses diminishing nutrients being taken in that this triggers it to reproduce (ie a survival tactic) hence the earlier production of flowers to make seed.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • WateryWatery Posts: 388

I'm also growing tomatoes for the first time (not counting a science experiment when I was 16 in California where the tomatoes just grew and grew without help from me once planted outside).   I was going to try 2 plastic buckets from Wickes (99p each) and drill holes in one and use the other as a reservoir and then place the planted one on bricks with a wick down into the reservoir.  Don't know if it will work but I read about it in a book.   I'll also take on board the advice given on this forum.

• Sounds a bit scientific again Watery ,image I only use the black buckets from B&Q Wednesday's 99p (with 10%off for us youngstersimage) it should work but are you sure you haven't been talking to that lady in the gardening aisle againimageimageimage

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    With grow bags you need some support for the canes so I think it's better using pots.Haven't got a greenhouse so I put mine in the garden with the flowers they do very well. Got a conservatory to grow my seeds,cucumbers and chillies.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Practically everything I grow is in a container of some sort.  Florists buckets and various size and shape plastic, only choosy re the colour!  I drill small holes in them an inch or so from the base which gives me a reservoir. I also have various metal containers mostly rescued from material dumped in laybys, car parks, hedges etc.  With a bit of luck they already have drainage one way or another.  Most of it I can shift so I have a sheltered spot for the spring stuff going over which presently has similar containers full of perennials ready for the summer and spares for baskets and pots of summer bedding.  As my 'garden' is strips round a block of flats I also have a very useful trolley to move the bigger pots along the paths.  I grew tomatoes last year in canvas bags and they did very well indeed.  I will definitely be doing that again

• I agree Logan after forum advice not to change to grow bags. Your garden sounds cottagey(gardeners dictionary) that's wonderful and your conservatory sounds like a home greenhouse only make sure you keep at least 2 chairs clearimage 

• Good on you Dorset imageI hope all the inmates???of the flats appreciate your hard workimage