Forum home Tools and techniques

Border or digging spade

Hi there. I have a relatively small raised flower bed. Don't know whether to get a digging or a border spade. I like the border spade but have some perrenials to dig up as they are now too big and need split. Do you think a border spade is up to the job

• Meant to say it was a spear and Jackson one I was looking at 

• I'm about 5ft 4. do u think a border spade is capable of digging up these perennials. Would they be as strong as a digging spade

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,883

As a small, elderly woman I find a digging spade too heavy to lift when it's fully laden. A good sharp stainless steel border spade can do the work with ease. You just have to lift the spade more often, but it spares your back.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Border spade any time along with a border fork - but my OH broke my border fork at the weekendimage

It is a good excuse to visit a GC and weigh up  the weights and balances of the spades to get one that suits me. I'm 5ft 3 by the way

and ..... well..... GC.........................

• That's great thanks Edd, pansyface And Matty2. i will go for the border one.

Yeah, you can always trust a bloke to break a forkimage

• Haha. Mind you I don't have a fork nor would I know what to use it for ! If I can get these massive daisies dug out ill deserve a shopping spree in a garden centre

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,709

I'm a retired female of 5'7" - I've always been quite strong (farmer's daughter and ex-smallholder) I've always used border spades and forks - perfectly up to most jobs if you use them sensibly.  I value my back image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Sorry - OH broke my border spade, not border forkimage

Give him time....image